Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy or Wealthy?

I've come to the realization that I have been out of high school for 6 years and have not accomplished anything with my life. I have gone to a few different colleges and barely have enough credits to even say I went to college. I would love to finish college and get my Bachelor's Degree. I would actually like to get at least a Master's Degree in something. The problem is I don't know what thing I want to get any degrees in.

I started college as a computer science major hoping to become a programmer. I didn't like the idea that they made you take a billion math classes that didn't relate to the major. I had no problem doing the math as it was applied to the programming, but doing it in a math class was just annoying.

My first year of college "complete" I decided I was going to change majors, but to what? I didn't know what I wanted to do so I went undeclared. I started attending more classes of the general education variety. Doing this also annoyed me as I wanted to focus on one subject and not deal with all the other bullshit classes. In my opinion you should be able to focus on your major and not worry about the other stuff. If you're not studying English, you shouldn't have to take English classes, not studying math, don't take math, etc. I think that people learn enough of this stuff in high school that it truly isn't necessary in college.

I wasn't doing well in college, but I continued trying, continued taking classes even the ones I didn't want to take. Then I had finally decided that I wanted to help people. I wanted to study psychology I wanted to help people with addictions. Most of my courses were screwed from the beginning because of my gaming addiction. Sure, laugh, but it happens and it sucks. People can become addicted to virtually anything, though alcohol and drugs are the ones known. I started taking a lot of different psychology classes hoping to get motivated for college.

Every time I enroll in a new semester I'm super motivated to go to class and finally finish college. Of course halfway through the semester I'm sick of attending classes I don't think I need to be in. What I can't seem to find is motivation for college. On the other hand WTF am I going to do with my life?

I would like to continue studying psychology, but I would love to get a degree in photography. My dilemma is that I could get a degree in psychology, move onto a Master's and then start therapy. I would probably make a good amount of money and live comfortably the rest of my life. The downside to this is that I would have to be in school for another 5 or 6 years. On the other end of things I could finish a photography degree in half the time and start my career. I would probably enjoy photography a lot more, but I wouldn't make the same amount of money.

What to do? What to do?

"Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach." -Tom Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment